Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Why blog?

My brother from another mother told me, "You need to write more!"

He is right.  In the past I didn't really write - I chose to pick up a pen, paint brush or piece of charcoal and create some art instead.  However I have been pleasantly surprised that I enjoy writing and I should do more.
Do more of what makes you happy, right?! :)

It also got me thinking, why did I start this blog?

I started writing and blogging for a few reasons, but mainly because:

1) I was so happy to have found other blogs by people who had been through the same thing as I was going through.  Reading their story, how they coped and being able to actually get in touch with them was a huge support to me so I decided to share my story in case it could help someone else.

2) I wanted to write down every small detail and thought as it happened, as I knew that in a year or decade from now the memory would stay but the details may fade.

3) Writing became my therapy.  Some people take up painting, music or any other creative outlet when they are diagnosed with a disease.  I took up writing.  This blog became a place where I could write and say all the things that I may not have actually said to friends or family.  Looking back, I don't think I would have told many about "How Mario was going to Save Me" or 'Repressed Emotions' but my blog became a safe haven where I could write my feelings and parts of the story freely.  It was a place that welcomed my honesty with open arms, gave me the time to speak, never asked anything in return and never judged me.

4) Since most people follow their friends and families lives so easily and efficiently via social media (mainly facebook) I thought writing a blog would be a good way to share all the details of my story, my thoughts and "where my head was at" since I no longer had facebook.  Rather than go into the nitty gritty details personally I thought this would be a good place for friends, family or anyone searching for more info to read more if they wanted to.  Not everyone wants to know the full story so this way they could choose.

Over the past few weeks of my recovery writing has taken a bit of a back seat whilst I built a healthy relationship with clean eating and in turn finding my "happy place" with food.  (It feels great to make guilt free nutrition decisions,  I cannot recommend it enough.)

"I check your blog every day" Bro said, and this means a lot to me - that someone has taken the time to read my blog.   So the least I can do is honor his request.  I will continue to write more (plus post healthy eating recipes) :)

Thank you Bro for your honesty.


2 comments:

Sdun said...

I think blogging is modern art!

Unknown said...

Sdun - (smiling) love it :) x