Friday, September 20, 2013

Aubergine and Mushroom Quinoa

Quinoa, gluten free and packed full of protein & goodness. One of my fav food stuffs right now. You can do so many things with it - add to salads, have as a healthy breakfast instead of oats, use in main dishes... The list is endless.

Cooking is creativity to me and I like to try new dishes and come up with new flavor combinations. Today that new thing was an Aubergine and Mushroom quinoa dish. I was pretty happy with the result if I do say so myself and went back for thirds #phatty

Total time: 30 mins (10 mins prep - cutting everythining) and 20 mins cooking.


Ingredients:
1 big spoon of coconut oil
1 onion (roughly chopped)
4 garlic cloves (put through the garlic press)
Half lemon (squeezed juice) 
Ginger (about 2 tablespoon fulls finely chopped) I'm a little addicted to ginger so I added quite a lot
8 mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1 big Aubergine (cut into big chunks) 
1 tomato (roughly chopped after peeling.)  You can easily remove the skin by putting the tomato in just boiled water, leave for a few mins and then peel it off
3 sprigs of rosemary
Half a handful of thyme 
10 basil leaves (roughly chopped)
Himalayan salt and pepper to taste 

Method:
Add all the veggies to a big pan and bring to the boil.
Add half a cup of water and leave to simmer for 20 mins
In the meantime rinse 150g quinoa and then let it boil for 10 mins.   Drain any remaining water and add the quinoa to the big pan of veggies (the quinoa will soak up the left over tasty juices). 

Serve and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top.

Ta da, done! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I especially like your new web page on Blogger: R U kidneying me?

and I will bookmark this...
Thanks...

Thanks and please visit my webpage at web design Cape Town ()

Unknown said...

Thank you very much! :)